Wheels for Hope provides loan Wheelchair Vans to eligible WA families with a disability
If you live within 800km of Perth GPO and wish to be considered for assistance from the WA Motor Industry Foundation, please download an Application for Assistance Form. To enable your application to be assessed, you must include the Required Documentation.
Send your completed application to:
Wheels for Hope
Suite 3, 37 Hampden Road
NEDLANDS WA 6009
Please understand that the Foundation receives a large number of applications for assistance. The Foundation will acknowledge receipt of your application in writing, and will keep you informed of its progress.
WHEELS FOR HOPE SELECTION CRITERIA
All applications to the Foundation are considered on a case by case basis, and are required to meet the criteria established by The Foundation. All applicants must meet the following selection criteria:
- The Applicant has a disability that is attributable to an intellectual, cognitive, neurological, sensory or physical impairment or a combination of those impairments.
- The Applicant is required to be transported in an Australian Standards approved wheelchair/mobility device
- The disability/impairment is permanent.
- The disability/impairment has resulted in a substantially reduced capacity in at least one of the areas of communication, social interaction, learning or mobility.
- The Applicant has a disability which meets the Eligibility Policy for Specialist Disability Services Funded or Provided by the Disability Services Commission (December 2010).
- The Applicant must live permanently in Western Australia, and be an Australian citizen, or a permanent Australian Resident, or a New Zealand citizen who arrived in Australia prior to 26 February 2001.
- The Applicant does not have access to a vehicle that is appropriate to transport them to personal medical and remedial appointments, community events and social activities.
- The Foundation conducts due diligence to confirm that the Applicant does not have the financial means to purchase and/or maintain a vehicle that is appropriate to transport a person with a disability.
- The vehicle must be housed within a radius of 800kms of the Perth GPO.
- The Driver and/or Drivers is of good character, and considered a fit and proper person to receive a vehicle, as determined by The Foundation, having regard for the following non-exhaustive list of factors:
- The Driver and/or Drivers has a current Western Australian Drivers Licence
- The Driver and/or Drivers does not have any relevant criminal convictions
- The Driver and/or Drivers discloses whether they have any traffic infringements resulting in loss of demerit points
- The Driver and/or Drivers discloses whether they have been involved in any motor vehicle accidents
- The Driver and/or Drivers will be able to store a motor vehicle in a safe and secure area
- The Driver and/or Drivers is willing and has the ability to commit to maintaining a vehicle to the specifications outlined by The Foundation.
The following indicators are used for the prioritisation of applications:
- Preference will be given to applicants who require a vehicle to attend critical medical and remedial care appointments for their health and well-being
- Preference will be given to applicants who the allocation of a vehicle will provide opportunities to improve their community participation
- Due consideration will be given to applicants who live in areas where there is no public transport or availability of Multi-Purpose Taxis, dependent on the availability of service and maintenance providers in the location